I have a broad interest in topics at the intersection of engineering, mathematics and computer science. Most of my research has been dedicated to voice and speech production, including: mathematical modeling of phonation, acoustic analysis, analysis of articulatory movements, voice synthesis, and 3D facial animation of speech.
I also enjoy the study nonlinear systems in biology, medicine and sociology, and all aspects of origami science and its technological applications.
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Shizuoka University (Japan), 1993.
- Master of Engineering, Shizuoka University, 1990.
- Diploma of Electrical and Electronic Engineer, National University of Córdoba (Argentina), 1985.
- Professor (Full) of the Dept. Computer Science, University of Brasília, since 2011.
- Visiting Scientist at the Dept. Signals, Images and Telecommunication Devices, Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium), Sept 2012, Dec 2013 - Jan 2014.
- “Poste Rouge” Associated Researcher of the CNRS (France) at GIPSA-Lab (Grenoble Images Parole Signal Automatique), Sept 2010 - March 2011.
- Faculty of the Dept. Mathematics, University of Brasília, 1997-2011. Last rank: Associate Professor.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at both the Dept. Psychology, Queen's University (Canada), and the Dept. Computer Science, University of Toronto, 1996-1997.
- Researcher of CNPq (Brazil) at the Dept. Electrical Engineering, Federal University of Santa Catarina, 1993-1994, and Dept. Computer Science, University of Brasília, 1995-1996.
International cooperation grants
- International Cooperation CNPq-FRS/FNRS (Belgium): “Simulation by machine of disordered voices,” with Jean Schoentgen (Université Libre de Bruxelles), 2012-2014. Principal Investigator for Brazil.
- STIC-AmSud Program for France-South America Cooperation: "Physics-based modeling of speech production," with D. Sciamarella (LIMSI/CNRS), X. Pelorson (GIPSA-Lab/CNRS), G. Artana (University of Buenos Aires), M. Zañartu (UFTSM, Chile), 2013-2014. Principal Investigator for Brazil.
- STIC-AmSud Program for France-South America Cooperation: "Modeling voice production," with D. Sciamarella (LIMSI/CNRS), X. Pelorson (GIPSA-Lab/CNRS), G. Artana (University of Buenos Aires), 2007-2009. Principal Investigator for Brazil.
- Consultant to Kevin G. Munhall (Queen’s University) in grant of the National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders: "Visual contributions to speech perception," 2003-2007.
- Consultant to Laura L. Koenig (Haskins Laboratories, USA) in grant of the National Institute of Deafness and Other Communications Disorders: "Dynamic patterns of speech aerodynamics in children," 2001-2005.
- Consultant to Anders Löfqvist (Haskins Laboratories)in grant of the National Institute of Deafness and Other Communications Disorders: "Sources of sound in speech," 2002-2003.
- Research fellowship of the CNPq on Mathematics, 1998-present.
- Second place in Prize “Paulo Pontes” of the Brazilian Chapter of The Voice Foundation, 2017.
- Prizes for Excellence (2013, 2015) and Honorable Mention (2016) to papers presented at conferences of the Brazilian Society of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology.
- Graduate scholarship of the Japanese Ministry of Education for foreign students, 1987-1993.
- Diploma for Merits in the Career of Engineering, Centre of Engineers of Córdoba (Argentina), 1984.
- Undergraduate: Automata and Computability, Algorithms and Computer Programming, Theoretical Foundations of Computation, Natural Language Processing.
- Graduate: Principles of Scientific Computing, Speech Processing.